The mission of the Florida Department of Health School Health Services Program is to "Appraise, protect and promote the health of students." The Hardee County Health Department School Health Staff promote student health through prevention, early intervention and treatment or referral for acute or chronic health problems.
Our school nurses support the education process by promoting and facilitating the optimal health of students. The following services are provided by our school health staff for Hardee County schools:
- Nursing assessments
- Referral and follow-up of suspected or confirmed health concerns
- Health record review
- Immunization record review
- Acute care for emergencies if on campus
- Monitoring of school clinic function and medical and emergency supplies
- Health screenings for vision, hearing, scoliosis, growth and development and body mass index (BMI)
- Health counseling
- Classroom health education
- Home visits
- Consultation for parents, teachers, students, principals
- Child specific training of school staff
- Health resource for school faculty and administration
- Communicable disease monitoring
- Tobacco, alcohol and drug abuse prevention education and counseling
- Risk taking behavior prevention, education and counseling
- Participation in health fairs and community presentations
Partners of School Health:
- School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
If your child needs to have medications/treatments given during the school day, state regulations and school board policy require that you and your healthcare provider/doctor provide written permission for school staff to administer prescription and over-the-counter medications or treatments. Please use the Medication Authorization Form (PDF 137kb - Opens in new window) and submit it to your child's school nurse.
For more information regarding our School Health Services Program, please call (863) 773-4161.